This week I wanted to continue working on strategies for teaching and working with fractions. Last week I explored an online interactive practice, this week I wanted to look into resources that would be fun and engaging for students to practice, and that do not require internet or a computer. The resource that I found is from https://mathgeekmama.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/getting-to-know-fractions.pdf. It proves a printable set of fractions that teachers can quickly cut into “cards” to play with.
This aligns with 4th and 5th grade standards:
Explain why a fraction a/b is equivalent to a fraction (n × a)/(n × b) by using visual fraction models, with attention to how the number and size of the parts differ even though the two fractions themselves are the same size. Use this principle to recognize and generate equivalent fractions.
Compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators, e.g., by creating common denominators or numerators, or by comparing to a benchmark fraction such as 1/2. Recognize that comparisons are valid only when the two fractions refer to the same whole. Record the results of comparisons with symbols >, =, or <, and justify the conclusions, e.g., by using a visual fraction model.
The resource provides different ways that students can play with the cards to practice working with fractions at all levels of mastery.
The resource provides instructions on how to use the cards to play a variety of different games. It also divides the games into those that can be played solo, and those that are played in a group.
The resource also categorizes the games by ability and topic so that students can continue using the cards to play as the explore different topics within fractions, such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, etc. at the end of the PDF are the pages of cards to be printed.
Reflection.
I think that this is a great resource to help students practice fractions at all levels. I really like how it is categorized by steps so students who need more practice can continue playing one set of games, while those who are ready to move on are prepared with another set. One downside of this resources is that because it is printed and not online, it’s more difficult to provide in the moment remediation or review for students who don’t fully understand a concept. I also really appreciate that the author provides games for students to work on solo and in a group. This makes it easy to differentiate for students of different levels and for students to practice at home on their own. I would use this in my class after learning a new concept within fractions as a fun way for students to increase their exposure.


I really enjoyed looking at the visuals of this game. I truly always have had difficulties with fractions yet looking at the visual resources provides instructions on how to use the cards to play a variety of different games was very useful. The fact that this also divides the games into those that can be played solo if they feel uncomfortable to work with others , and those that are played in a group. There are times especially with difficult subjects that a student feel comfortable to work in collaboration with others to better understand. Great post!
ReplyDelete