Fractions
For the next few blog posts I want to focus on fractions. Fractions are a large topic with different rules when it comes to adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing (I also wanted to cover this optic because this week’s async work made me realize how much I’d forgotten!).
The resource I found is an interactive practice from PBS- schoolyourself.org for 5th grade math.
https://schoolyourself.org/page/embed?partner=pbslm&id=algebra/fractions
Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators (including mixed numbers) by replacing given fractions with equivalent fractions in such a way as to produce an equivalent sum or difference of fractions with like denominators. For example, 2/3 + 5/4 = 8/12 + 15/12 = 23/12. (In general, a/b + c/d = (ad + bc)/bd.)
The interactive model prompts students to solve fraction questions. One of my favorite things about this model is that it provides links for students to review necessary skills if they are stuck on a problem. It also gives them the explanations for ALL choices instead of just the correct one. I think this is so important for students to think through a problem correctly. It represents fractions in different ways which helps students make connections. Additionally, it compares fractions and gives them a visual to help conceptualize. I think this is a great resource for students that need extra help understanding and working with fractions


Hi Molly! I enjoyed reading your post. Fractions are such an important topic to cover in the elementary grades. The PBS resource that you provided looks very interactive and engaging for the students. I think it is wonderful that you included visuals. I also like that in the resource you used, you mentioned that the model is able to provide links to a review for students if they are having trouble with a problem. This helps differentiate to all students since not every student may automatically understand fractions. I myself was not the best as a fraction as a child, so resources such as this would have been very useful for me. Nice work! -Victoria Yudenfriend
ReplyDelete