For my 5th blog post I wanted to continue working on strategies for long division. When I was a student I remember this topic was one of the first in math that I struggled with. I think that it impacted my confidence in my mathematical abilities and I want to make sure that when I teach, my students are confident in their abilities. I have already written about long division videos, activities, and worksheets. This week I wanted to find a website that allowed students to practice long division. I think that it’s really important that students are able to have fun when learning so that they do now associate using their agh skills with having to follow orders and do work. The lesson aligns with CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.B.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.
The website I found is https://mrnussbaum.com/divide-pal-online-workshop which is an online game for division. The website allows you to select how many divisor digits, and dividend digits you want to work with, as well as if you want to practice using remainders.
The website generates an equation for students to solve based on the criteria they entered. Students are then prompted to work through the problem step by step.
The website prompts students to move through each part of the equation and explains the steps in each part.

When students have completed the problem, they can try another with the same settings or adjust the settings as needed.
Reflection
What I really liked about this resource was how scaffolded it was. This provides a lot of support for students who are struggling and can help build the confidence of students who need it. I also really liked that the website did not require an account and that the platform is straightforward and easy to use. I think that the website makes it really user-friendly. Some things that I would add if I could are more explanations for students to connect the procedures to mathematical reasoning. While the scaffolds are great, I would really want my students to be thinking through their decisions while they work and understand the concepts. Also, while the website allows students to move onto increasingly difficult problems when they are ready, I think they could benefit from having a setting where they could practice without the scaffolds. Overall though, I think this is a great resource and one I could see using in my own classroom.
Hi Molly! I enjoyed reading your post. I also struggled in long division at first as well. I think this is a very important topic that students need to learn at a young age. I liked reading and looking at the math game, I have not heard of the website before, so it was very informative. I agree that mathematical reasoning is also important to incorporate in this topic like you said. I do agree that resources such as this one can help the struggling students get the extra support that they need. Especially since 5th graders are so close to going to middle school, this is a topic that they need to know. -Victoria Yudenfriend
ReplyDelete