For this week I wanted to continue my work on long division. This time, however, I wanted to focus on a resource that would allow myself and other teachers to easily differentiate instruction and activities for students. Some students comprehend and master long division very quickly, and others (myself included) struggle with remembering all of the steps and where to place all of the numbers. I found a resource that provides two different worksheets for students. The first one is highly scaffolded to help students remember where to place each of the numbers as they work through the equations. The second sheet is less scaffolded to allow students the opportunity to work through the problems without prompts for where to place each number. The lesson aligns with CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.B.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.
First sheet: scaffolded
Second sheet: less scaffolded Example of what the scaffolded sheet looks like filled out


This is great, Molly. I love finding effective scaffolding tools and this seems like it would be really helpful for students. Seeing how this process scaffolded also helps me as a teacher. There are times I take some of my mathematical thinking for granted but sheets like this remind me what a student is going through when first being confronted by long division.
ReplyDelete