For the next blog post, I am going to change topics from area, perimeter, and volume to long division. I wanted to work on a blog post on long division for two reasons. First, because this is one of the first topics I remember learning about in school and feeling very overwhelmed. Secondly, because of calculators on my phone and computer, I haven't actually practiced long division in years and need to refresh before teaching it myself! The lesson aligns with CCSS.Math.Content.6.NS.B.2 Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm.
The resource I am sharing is from PBS learning. I especially like this resource because it is a thorough and adaptable lesson. The resource is divided into three parts, first is an introduction to the topic that explains the concept of long division in a logical way.
Next the lesson provides a video for students to watch that shows them exactly how long division is calculated, along with discussion topics.
Finally, there is a game that students play working in groups. They use dice to generate division problems to practice.
Reflection
I really like this resource for several reasons. It explains long division in a way that I found to be very straightforward. I liked how the video shows students easy tricks for making sense of all of the different steps and actually explains why they should be doing something instead of just instructing. I find that in many subjects, but especially math, the focus in instruction is on how and not on why. I think explaining to students why something must be done in a specific way can only aid in their comprehension. I also really liked this resource because it is broken down in a way that is very adaptable for teachers. Instructors can pick which parts of the lesson they need to use. If they have already given a lesson on long division, they can skip to the video to review or even use just the game to provide students an opportunity to practice their skills.
Comments
Post a Comment