For my next activiy I wanted to expand on my last post on geometry and measuring perimeter and area. I wanted to explore another medium of learning for students who maybe are not tactile learners or who need more review before moving on. I would have my students work on computers playing a game "Alfalfa's Out of the Box: Perimeter, Area, and Addition".
https://www.education.com/game/alfalfas-out-of-the-box-perimeter-and-area/
This game meets the same standards:
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.4.MD.A.3
Apply the area and perimeter formulas for rectangles in real world and mathematical problems. For example, find the width of a rectangular room given the area of the flooring and the length, by viewing the area formula as a multiplication equation with an unknown factor.
Sudents are introduced to Alfalfa the turtle, and work to help him escape the brown box.
Students are told how to make the calculations of area and perimeter and must select the correct answer.
If students answer incorrectly, the site makes a sound indicating they should try again. As Alfalfa's adventure continues, the questions become increasingly complex. Instead of asking students the perimiter of a rectagle, they may have to find the length of side A when given side B and the perimeter and so on.
Reflection:
I really like how the game walks students through real life examples of what perimiter and area are and how they can be used. Not only does this help students picture this in their mind, it helps them understand how it is applicable in their lives and why it is imporant to understand. I also really liked how the game shows pictures as it narrates for students who are visual learners. One thing that I didn't like about the narration was a little bit "babyish" for fourth graders. I think most students like to be treated and spoken to like they are adults and some students would not like this game because of this. I also do not like that the site requires an account for students to play the games. An account is free and very easy to set up, but I think it would be easier to use if an account was not required.
If I were using this in my class, I would allow students to play this game if they need extra review after our lesson, but not in place of our lesson. Students should have a chance to ask questions and practice working on these formulas before practicing in the game. I also might give this resource to parents and guardians so students can play and practice at home.



Wow Molly, I loved this post. This is something I'd like to try with my 3rd graders, I think they will really enjoy it. We worked on Area and Perimeter a few months ago and I think this would be a fun refresher lesson for June.
ReplyDeleteI love this post too. I think it really highlights the importance and many uses of technology in the learning process. This seems like such a fun and interactive game! I also really appreciate your point about how kids want to be treated and spoken to like adults. I completely agree with that.
ReplyDelete